The detailed work to progress the business case for LandLAB’s PARK+ concept design for Ponsonby Park – the new civic space at 254 Ponsonby Road – revealed that it exceeded the allocated budget.
The Project Control Steering Group (PCSG) then provided the Community-Led Design group with three options to take back to the community to seek a directive on how to proceed.
The community consultation was open from Sunday, December 1st – 8th, 2019.
Three options were presented:
- Continue with the existing concept design.
- This would require additional funding from the Governing Body, which could present the risk of delay or refusal.
- Project modification, to a smaller building and pavilion
- This option was derived from a quadruple bottom-line assessment (it was the best scoring of 7 options) and aligns with the budget.
- A variation designed by LandLAB
- Strongly meets the original concept design vision, and aligns with the budget.
171 responses were received, with a clear majority supporting Option 3.
This result will now inform the business case that the PCSG will present to the Waitematā Local Board.
Once the Waitematā Local Board has approved the business case they will then take it to the Governing Body’s Finance and Expenditure committee meeting, next year.